Tuesday, September 26, 2017

My 4 years as a baker

Assalammualaikum,

For those who have known me for the past few years know that I am in a baking business which just turn 4 years on March 2017. But I bet not many knew how do I turn out as a baker when I'm a Mass communication student for at least 5 years. Yup I did both diploma and degree, and proud of it. Just maybe there aren't any rezeki (yet) in that department. But, I do implement some of what I learnt into my baking business.

From what I remembered, it all started in March 2013 when one of my neighbor's son is getting married. My mom has always been the baker and home-cooker at home and all of our relatives, friends and office mates knew that my mum loves to cook. So apparently, my neighbor, Aunt Juridah, asked my mum to bake some cupcakes for the guests. At that time, we weren't into business yet, it is more of like, we helped to bake the goods as a friendly neighbor and my mom just charge the costing price to bake all the desserts.


When I helped my mum, trust me it wasn't easy to bake and juggling all the recipes and measuring and baking, it was a mess! With our small kitchen and to bake around 100+ cupcakes, it was really a challenged. But we managed to bake it and delivered it on time. As soon as the payment is received, I felt something in me, as in, when you received your first hard work payment. All I can think of was, "so this is how it feels to earn some money huh?" And it got me hook!

It's not that I'm saying, working 9-5 didn't earn much, it's more of the feelings that I couldn't explain why I may have prefer working on my own than working 9-5 jobs.

Starting small with mini cupcakes that I sold to every potential customers through online, festivals and bazaars, and now have more varieties to choose from. I sold more on social media including closed friends and families, I was really enjoying the process of making my own money at that time. It was all part-time work for me as I am still studying at that moment and balancing through working and internships. I can only cater orders on weekends. But, the payment were good enough for me that I managed to travel here and there and bought things that I want. Haha.


But, not many knew that, when u start your own business, it as the same as when you work with a company. You have your boss, I have mine. My mum. I didn't know how to managed my financial back then and always having mummy to chip in every time, sometimes it stresses me out and my mum is kinda picky and very keen on details. Being a rebellious and hot-headed me, we always fight. For the first 3 years, we always fight. Wait, not 3 years, but till now also. Haha. But now, it lessen a bit than before. The fighting can be huge, from just a small matter can turn big. Well, we both have our own egos.

Some of the misscommunications that can be shared here are I tend to be very messy, and very hogging all the table space. So whenever I'm in the kitchen baking, nobody can be in the kitchen. As simple as that. But as time goes by, honestly, I'm tired of fighting but I guess my mum wouldn't know about it as I prefer to just silent myself rather than arguing with her. For her, my silent is being rude to her for not answering back. Haha. Trust me mummy, I rather not argue.

One day, we had a huge fight while I was baking and got me an idea to find a proper place to bake, as how people say, a peaceful place to work, to do my own thing, without anyone interrupting or downgrading my ideas and creativity. I asked my dad if I can rent his small office back then but the location was not safe enough and the toilet/washroom was quite far plus the building is a little bit quiet.


A few weeks goes by, it turns out there's a space for rent close enough to home and my parents thought it was a good idea for me to have my own space as well as abah's office and mummy's kitchen. We rented out the third level from a 3-storey shoplot. Surprisingly it was large enough for me to put all my big appliances like oven and fridges. Am right now, trying to save up some money to spice up on decorations and storage.

Though, it might not look like how I wanted it to be, since mummy had already bought everything without even asking me, and managed to organize everything. Haha. Never mind, I can always change a little here and there. IKEA is always there right?

So, to this 4th year, I finally have my own space to expand my baking business. Yeay! I always pray that my rezeki will always be there for me so that I might help my family and myself a little bit. It may not be much, but hey, am still here :) Insya Allah everything will be fine.

So, if let say you guys are looking for some affordable and delicious desserts, give your girl a holla at 0126714589, I'll be replying soon or you can just like my Facebook page, follow my Instagram and my Twitter account too!

Much love,
A

No comments:

Featured Post

Peluang Bisnes Shaklee - 3C

Hai semuanya! Assalammualaikum! Tau tak hari ni, actually genap sebulan from my previou spost. Aduhai, last month dah niat nak buat 1 ...