Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Cakes That I Should Decline

Assalammualaikum,

Wow, the headline sounds like something wrong right? Don't worry. Nothing is ever wrong but it's more of like a quick note for my future references. I was browsing through Pinterest this morning on finding some ideas on everything that comes through my mind, and I came upon a pin called "Avoid This Cake Orders In Your Business". It sounds intriguing so I click.

 A blog post by Cake & Success stating that, we as baker should consider some guidelines or rules in our businesses, don't just go for the money without knowing a thing or two or because of money, everything can maaa. Nope, not like that.

She said that there are some orders that we should really decline in order to gain some stress-free environment and a well-succeed business. As I go through her post, I noticed that some of it really does relates to me. Here are the cakes that I, or maybe we, should decline:-

1. ALLERGY AND DIETARY REQUESTS.

I once saw a post from one of the baker that I followed on Instagram, and noticed that she caters for vegetarian/allergy/dietary desserts, that somehow makes me things "Eyy, it would be cool if I can make it too. As those niche market can also be good sales target."

Then, I had a customer DMed me if I ever make these kind of cakes. But then again, would I really want to jeopardize my business for the sake of chasing the sales? It's better to say NO than messing with other people's lives while pretending that you MIGHT know what you are doing.

If Allergy/Dietary isn't something you familiar with, it's best to put that spatula down and step away from the mixing bowl. Plus, I wouldn't want to be held liable and go all viral and what not.

Do yourself a favour, and don't go there.

2. CAKES YOU AREN'T SKILL AT...YET

I hate it when customers requested cakes that I'm not skill enough to make, it's just makes me feel like I'm a total failure. Haha okay exaggerate much.

But, by telling customers you can make it, seriously putting a lot pressure into it. I remembered a cake that I accept, I had just finished a class on making flower buttercream, and this customer immediately order a cake from me. Deep down, I know I am not yet capable of doing it, but I was so happy that there is someone out there that would order from me.

She gave me a picture to follow, but I don't know why I didn't focus on it and by the time the cake had finished being decorated, then I've noticed it doesn't look the same at all! I am panicking and all I can say was, I never heard from that customer again. Haha.

In another case, fondant cakes. Nope, not yet in that line of business.

3. REPLICA CAKES

It's the same as above. It is surely kinda of hard to replicate cakes done by other professionals. I mean, I can make it as an inspirations but not 100% the same. I need to considered the tools used, the ingredients, the humidity all in all, there are just too many differences between my works and the other.

Plus, what if the cake doesn't resemble at all like the picture given? Yup, you guess it. If a customer do requests something like this or that, I would totally said that, I might able to make it, but it will be my own imaginations and creativity. A more originality from my line of work.

4. PAIN IN THE ASS CUSTOMERS

Haha. I think I have encounter some of it. It might not be as crazy as bridezillas, but some sure do give me some temper.

If a customer is a pain in the butt, it is surely not worth the money. Your energy is being drained, you are annoyed at the customer, and trust me it really affects your sales.

Simply tells the customers that you aren't the best fit and decline the request. You will be 100% glad you did!

Instead of trying to avoid budget clients and cakes you don't want to make, choose to build your cake business with having a clear, defined strategy to double your cake orders and attract clients who WANT the cakes you want to book!

Want to order some desserts or maybe cakes?
Whatsapp me at 0126714589 :)
Facebook - Bakes by AB
Instagram - @bakesbyab
Twitter - Bakes by AB

Much Love,
A

No comments:

Featured Post

Peluang Bisnes Shaklee - 3C

Hai semuanya! Assalammualaikum! Tau tak hari ni, actually genap sebulan from my previou spost. Aduhai, last month dah niat nak buat 1 ...